D.C. LATOURETTE RENTAL -- Statement of Significance: In 1887, D.C. Latourette purchased six lots in this block and transferred all but this one to the city of Oregon City for the establishment of a park. This house was partially constructed with the old timbers from a barn that originally stood on the site. Latourette, who was a prominent Oregon City banker and attorney, lived across the street and used this house as a rental. The house was occupied by Luther King, the superintendent of Oregon City Schools in the 1930s and 1940s. Latourette sold his interest to Homer Errol and Vera Hollowell in 1952. Mr. Hollowell was a supervisor in the credit department at Meier and Frank Co., who later was the manager of Willamette View Hospital. The property did not change hands again until 1971, when it was purchased by H. Wade and Patricia Ann Owens Jr.
This 1-1/2 story Dutch Colonial Revival house was constructed on the site of an old barn which stood until c.1925 and is reportedly constructed of the barn's old timbers. It has a gambrel roof with a small gambrel roof covering the front porch. The house is clad in round edge drop siding and has a frieze that runs under the eaves of the front elevation. Windows on this front elevation have been replaced with large picture windows and shutters have been added. The other windows are 1/1 wood with simple wood trim moldings. There is a shed dormer window on the back of the house. The house has a rectangular plan and sits on a poured concrete foundation. A period single-car garage is located under the main part of the house. Its carriage-style doors appear to be original. A parged concrete retaining wall separates the driveway and the yard.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact email@example.com for more information.