JOHN AND MARY BRADLEY HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: In 1892, John C. and Mary L. Bradley purchased this property. Mr. Bradley was born in Indiana in 1850 and crossed the plains in 1867. He was involved in local politics and served as deputy assessor, constable, sheriff, and county assessor from 1895-96. In 1920, the couple sold the property to George and Mary Hyatt, who in turn sold to Adam and Lenora Mootry in 1936. Mr. Mootry was a finisher for Crown-Willamette Paper Company. In the 1940s through the early 1960s, a related family member lived in the house. Harold Mootry was a logger and boat operator for Crown Zellerbach and his wife worked for Pub. Paper Company. They had three sons, David, Alan, and John.
This 1-1/2 story vernacular house has a steep gable roof covered with composition shingles. It has a rectangular plan and sits on a poured concrete foundation. The house is clad in beveled lap siding and has wide rake boards, a frieze with molding, and corner boards. The hip-roof front porch has chamfered posts. At the rear, is a hip-roof extension and a back porch with a shed roof. The wood windows have been replaced with 1/1 vinyl windows and shutters have also been added. Significant landscape features include a concrete retaining wall and a juniper hedge.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact email@example.com for more information.