503 Madison Street

ARTHUR AND DAISY FARR HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: In 1923, Arthur Louis and Daisy Farr purchased this property and proceeded to construct their residence. Arthur was the son of pioneer Isaac Farr and the brother of Clarence Farr, with whom he operated Farr Brothers, a grocery and meat store at the northwest corner of 7th and Monroe. In 1942, a portion of this property was sold to J.E. and Blanche Squier, who two years later transferred it to Arvid Simonson. Simonson was a mill worker at Crown Zellerbach, who occupied the house wife Jessie. In 1958, Mrs. Simonson, as a widow, deeded the property to Peter Schwan, an employee of the County Road Department, and his wife Helen. The couple lived on site until the late 1950s, when they moved to Davis Road. From at least 1962 to 1965, the house was again occupied by Mrs. Jessie Simonson.

This two-story bungalow has a low-pitched gable roof covered in composition shingles. It sits on a parged concrete foundation with basement and has an asymmetrical plan. It has a wide eave and extended purlins with notched ends. It also has wide bargeboards and exposed rafter tails. The chimney is made of brick and has a corbelled top. The house is clad in original narrow lap siding. It exhibits a variety of windows, some with multi/1. There are single windows and groups of three. Some have arched transoms and all have apron moldings and decorative surrounds. The entrance door has glazed sidelights with muntins dividing long, tall glazed panes. The gabled wrap-around porch has short battered piers and decorative, multi-colored brickwork. Square posts have been added. At the back of the house is a small original porch. The small garage below grade on 6th Street also appears to be original.

This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact ocplanning@orcity.org for more information.

Historic Inventory Form 

MADI_0503