118 Washington Street

ROBERT AND EMMA HODGSON HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: In 1919, this property was purchased by Robert and Emma Hodgson. Mr. Hodgson was an inspector for Crown-Willamette Paper Company in 1916, when he lived at 820 12th Street in Oregon City with his wife Emma and son Carl, an electrician for Crown-Willamette. Ten years later, in 1929, Carl sold the property to Julia Nelson. In 1939, Mrs. Nelson sold it to Wilma Ruth Eaton. Wilma was a student at Linfield College. Wilma retained the property for over 20 years. In the 1950's, the house became a rental. Renters included Darrell, of Crown-Zellerbach, and Marjori Read, Arndt, a mechanic at Oregon City Dodge, and Grace May Breitling, and Antone Hitchrich. In 1965, Wilma and husband, W. Richey Hogg, sold it to Walter Woodmark. Mr. Woodmark sold the lot in 1967 to Bobby and Bernice Manning. Wilma and Leo Poppe were residents in 1967.

This side gabled bungalow features a large gable centered on the west façade covering the front porch. This gable is supported by square columns set on concrete piers at the corners and on the solid wood balustrade flanking the entry to the porch. The balustrade, like the rest of the house, is clad with rounded double drop siding, finished with corner boards above the full water table. The gables feature open eaves and knee brackets that penetrate the wide barge boards. The windows are predominantly 1/1 double-hung wood sash, but the gable ends feature wood casement windows in groups of three. The porch gable has a single casement window in the gable end. The windows typically feature plain board trim with a small apron board. The first-floor windows all have high upper sashes and are regularly placed throughout the house. The house rests on a board formed concrete foundation and has seen the addition of a small lean-to shed on the north end of the east side. This shed is clad with plywood. A detached garage sits to the east of the house under a gable roof with boxed eaves. The garage is clad with drop siding with corner moldings and has a replacement overhead door. A carport has been added to the east side of the garage, with a shed roof supported by 4 x 4 posts.

This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact ocplanning@orcity.org for more information.

Historic Inventory Form 

WASH_0118