806 Washington Street

H. LEIGHTON KELLY HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: In 1880, Hercules and Catharine Kelly sold lots 3-6 to Peyson Hatch. Hatch and his wife sold those lots back to Catherine Kelly in 1883. In 1910, Hercules Kelly transferred the remaining lots 1-8 into his wife's name. Hercules Kelly was a prominent Oregon pioneer, who crossed the plains in 1859. Mr. Kelly was born in Seneca Falls, NY (1840) and married Catherine Abbott of Oregon City. By 1926, Hercules died, and the properties were passed among the Kelly children. Their son, Leighton Kelly, was born in Oregon City in 1875. After high school graduation, he went to Idaho to survey with Hezekiah Johnson and Harold and Ernest Rands. He then worked for the Imperial Flour Mills. He left the mill to take a position with the Clackamas Fish Hatchery. Later, he was employed by hatcheries at the Rogue River and in South America. He was Oregon' State Game Commissioner. In 1938, H.L. and Roy Kelly sold lots 5 and 6 to George and Thelma Nichols. The Nichols sold the lots in 1946 to John W. and Addie Reddaway. In 1959, Addie sold them to St. Paul's Parish where the house became a study home.

This one-story house sits under a front gable roof with a wraparound hip porch on the north and west sides of the house. The porch hip is supported by Tuscan columns and is terminated on the north side by a rectangular bay under a second gable roof. The porch columns rest on a low solid balustrade clad with wood shingles and support a blank frieze below the enclosed eaves of the porch hip. The gables on the house are also enclosed and feature narrow rake and frieze boards. The main body of the house is clad with drop siding finished with corner boards, but the gable ends, and the foundation are also clad with wood shingles. The house features 1/1 double-hung wood sash windows with plain board surrounds on three sides and narrow sills. The east end of the house may be an early addition to the house but matches the rest of the house in both character and materials. The house's front door appears to have been moved slightly to the north, sometime after the original survey photo was taken.

This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact ocplanning@orcity.org for more information.

Historic Inventory Form 

WASH_0806