H.B. AND PEARL CARTLIDGE HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: In 1910, O.W. Eastham and his wife sold lots 1-4 to John Loder. Two months later, Loder sold parts of lots 1 and 2 to Harry B. Cartridge. H.B. Cartlidge was foreman for the Oregon City Enterprise, and his wife Pearl was a teacher at the high school. The house was designed by William and Fred White, architects. The Cartridges sold the house in 1943 to George and Dorothy Hankins. A year later, in 1944, the Hankins sold the property to Robert and Carol Brodie. The Brodies sold in 1948 to Winifred Preston, a teacher at Oregon City Junior High School. Ms. Preston retained the property for nearly 30 years, finally selling it to Galen and Susan Brackenridge in 1977.
This one-story house sits under a side gable roof, with two large rectangular bays projecting out to the east side of the house, resulting in a U-shaped plan. The main gable ends are only partially exposed, and all of the gables feature open eaves with knee brackets that penetrate the notched barge boards. The small ends of the main gable contain louvered vents, while the cross gables feature stucco in the gable ends. Below this, the house is clad with narrow lap siding. The windows are typically arranged in groups and are either 6/1 double-hung wood sash or six pane casement sashes. The windows typically feature decorative trim molding with an apron molding beneath the projecting sill. Two large interior chimneys are located near the gable intersections, constructed of basalt stone. A basalt retaining wall lines the east edge of the property at the sidewalk. A small garage is attached to the north side of the house, clad with the rounded double drop siding with a flat roof. This garage has a newer overhead door and a small pergola over the entry to the garage at the intersection with the house on the east side.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.