412 Washington Street

HENRY J. TEMPLETON RENTAL -- Statement of Significance: In 1845, executor Eloisa Harvey sold lots 1-8 to Benjamin Jagger. The properties passed among the Jagger family. In 1912, Minnie Jagger sold lots 5 and 6 to Henry Templeton. H.J. Templeton was born in Wales in 1857 and worked as a finisher in the woolen mills in Oregon City in 1900. His wife Charlotte, born in 1859 in Wales, and he had six children: the older ones were born in Wales and the younger ones in Massachusetts. By 1912, Templeton had purchased several lots in this block and had built three rentals. The first tenants in this house were Earle C. and Ruth Latourette. Earle was a member of a prominent Oregon City family and was a partner in a law firm with his brothers C.D. and D.C. Latourette. He later became a county circuit court judge. In 1933, Henry sold the lots to Helen Templeton. Over 10 years later, Helen sold part of lot 6 to Frank and Gladys Shelby in 1948. Frank was a house mover in 1947. In 1953, Frank had become an employee of Clackamas County Road Department, and Gladys was a nurse. The Shelbys retained the property for nearly 10 years. Gladys sold it to Donald and Genette McEachran in 1957. Don worked at Lupton Dental Lab. The property remained with the McEachrans for over 10 more years until its sale in 1969 to Gilbert McEachran. In 1971, Gladys Shelby sold more of lot 6 to Genette McEachran.

This 1-1/2 story house sits under a front gable roof, with a full width porch on the west façade. This porch is covered by a shallow hip roof supported by tapered square columns set on a solid balustrade that encircles the porch. The south end of the porch has been enclosed with eight light fixed wood sashes. The house is primarily clad with wood shingles, but the foundation is skirted and clad with composition shingles intended to resemble cut stone. The gable and porch hip feature open eaves, and the gable ends feature knee brackets that penetrate the barge boards. The windows are all 1/1 double-hung wood sash, appearing singly and in pairs with plain board trim. A shallow octagonal bay is covered by the porch hip and sits to the north of the front door. A large exterior brick chimney is located on the north wall of the house, and an interior chimney is located in the east end. Two garages are present behind the house to the east, both under gable roofs with wide barge boards and knee brackets. The northern garage is clad with composition shingles and the south garage retains its original drop siding.

This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact ocplanning@orcity.org for more information.

Historic Inventory Form 

WASH_0412