404 Washington Street

HENRY J. TEMPLETON RENTAL -- Statement of Significance: In 1845, executor Eloisa Harvey sold lots 1-8 to Benjamin Jagger. The properties passed among the Jagger family. In 1912, Minnie Jagger sold lots 5 and 6 to Henry Templeton. H.J. Templeton was born in Wales in 1857 and worked as a finisher in the Oregon City woolen mills in 1900. His wife Charlotte, born in 1859 in Wales. They had six children: the older ones were born in Wales and the younger ones in Massachusetts. By 1912, Templeton had purchased several lots in this block and had built three rentals. The first tenants of this house were Peter D. and Margaret Forbes. Forbes was a supervisor of manual training in the Oregon City High School in 1916. In 1933, Henry sold the lots to Helen Templeton. Ten years later, in 1944, Helen sold parts of lots 5 and 6 to D.B. and Marian Elledge. The Elledges sold the lots to Barney and Dorothy Goetz in 1946. In 1947, Barney Goetz sold the lots to Henry and Hazel Courand. The Courands sold the next year to Bert and Agnes Morgan. The Morgans retained the lots for over 20 years. In 1974 they were sold to Ted and Sonora Garrison and then in 1978 to Roy and Susan Carley. In 1979 the lots were sold yet again to Albert and Elizabeth Guenther.

This 1-1/2 story house sits under a front gable roof with a hipped porch running the full width of the west façade. The porch hip is supported by a series of tapered square columns resting on a solid wood balustrade clad with wood shingles. The gable ends are clad with wood shingles above a narrow string course at the window heads. The shingles are slightly battered at the string course. The majority of the house is clad with double drop siding, finished with corner boards. The gable features open eaves with knee brackets that penetrate the wide barge boards. The porch hip sits atop a wide frieze, and also has open eaves. The base of the house, beneath the porch railing and first floor windowsills, is also clad with wood shingles. The windows are all double-hung wood sashes with plain board surrounds and small hood moldings at the first-floor level. Aluminum storms have been added to all the windows. Under the porch hip, a shallow octagonal bay is located near the south end of the façade. A two-car garage sits just to the north of the house under a gable roof with minimal eaves. The garage is clad with drop siding and has two replacement overhead doors.

This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact ocplanning@orcity.org for more information.

Historic Inventory Form 

WASH_0404