DR. C.A. STUART HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: Washington Street was the home of Dr. Charles Albert Stuart (1876-1961), a well-known Oregon City Physician. Stuart's father was a physician and professional photographer who practiced in Dayton and Oregon City. Charles A. Stuart graduated from Willamette Medical College in Salem in 1899, and after practicing in Salem and Buena Vista, settled in Oregon City. He served as county physician from 1901-1903. In 1899, he married Clara Agnes Farr, the daughter of Isaac and Annie Farr of Oregon City. The lot was originally owned by John Myers, who in 1879 sold the property to Isaac Farr. In 1902 Isaac sold the property to his daughter Clara. It was not until 1948 that Clara transferred the property ownership into her husband's name. In 1956, the house left the family with Charles Stuart's sale to Eileen Kreml. Eileen then sold the property in 1963 to Teresa and Eileen Althow. Once leaving the Stuart's ownership, the house appears to have been a rental, with renters including Earl Nichols, John and Dorothy Sullivan, Wallace and Mildred Thompson, and Dean and Donna Marquand.
This large, two-story house sits under a cross gable roof that features enclosed eaves and gable end returns. A hip roof extension of the main gable covers the front porch, located at the northwest corner of the house. A tapered square columns supports the porch hip, resting on a solid balustrade and probably added to the house about 1920. The house features an octagonal bay on the south side, covered by a shallow hip roof and a second octagonal bay at the first floor level of the western gable. This bay features decorative stickwork brackets to the cantilevered second floor. The house is clad with drop siding, finished with cornerboards, above the skirted foundation. A full water table and decorative belt course interrupt the siding. The windows are all 1/1 double-hung wood sashes that have recently seen the addition of vinyl storm windows. The windows typically feature board trim with decorative hood and apron moldings, and the upper window in the west gable has scrollwork ornament above the window head. A brick chimney is centrally located in the house, and a shed roofed bay projects out from the northeast corner of the house. Only one story high, this bay may be an addition, but the siding matches the house.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.