914 Washington Street

C.G. HUNTLEY RENTAL -- Statement of Significance: In 1903, C.G. Huntley acquired the property from the widow Sarah Campbell. C.G. Huntley and his brother William operated Huntley Brothers, Inc. a pharmacy and business selling diverse items such as books, art supplies and bicycles. He served three terms as Oregon City councilman and was a member of the Oregon State Legislature between 1903-07. Born in Indiana in 1867, he moved to Portland in 1890, where he worked in the Oregon Railroad and Navigation Company's commissary department. He began his firm in Oregon City in partnership with E.G. Caufield, then president of Oregon City Bank. He served as president of the Oregon State Board of Pharmacy for five years. This house was a rental, while Huntley and his wife, Lura, lived at 916 Washington St. In 1928, the property was sold to Fred and Julina Madison, followed by L.L. and Nannie Stevens in the same year. The Stevens sold the property to Edgar and Elva Dempster in 1945 and the Dempsters sold a little over a year later to Sanford and Thelma Whiting. Sanford was a clerk at CWS & Son. He and Thelma had three children. In 1963, after Sanford's death, Thelma sold the property to Elmer and Florence Sinclair, who in 1966 sold to Jack and Burnace Craig.

This house sits under a cross gable roof, with the main gable running north-south and a second gable extending out to the west. The west gable features a bell cast form on the north side, projecting down to the first-floor level to cover the recessed porch at the northwest corner of the house. The eave is supported by a single turned column at the corner of the porch. All of the gable ends are enclosed and feature boxed eaves with rake and frieze boards and moldings. A small bay is located on the north side of the house, covered by a shed roof. A second shed roof runs the length of a lean-to extension of the house on the east side. The house sits on a post and beam foundation skirted with drop siding laid vertically. The main body of the house is clad with replacement vinyl lap siding, finished with narrow corner boards. The upper portions of the gable ends are clad with wood shingles that are battered above a block modillion course. The house also features a cantilevered rectangular bay on the south side, covered by a bell cast hip roof. The windows are predominantly 1/1 double-hung wood sash, but twelve and six-pane fixed sashes are also present on the west side of the house and at the porch. The windows typically feature plain board surrounds, but some have decorative hood moldings. A small garage is located to the east of the house, built about 1920 with a hip roof, exposed rafter tails, drop siding, and a plywood overhead door.

This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact ocplanning@orcity.org for more information.

Historic Inventory Form 

WASH_0914