301 Washington Street

HELEN MONTOUR HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: Isaac Farr bought lots 1-8 from WHH Fouts in 1882. In 1904 he sold lot 4 to Louis Farr, who in 1906 sold the lot to Helen M. Montour. Helen Montour was born in Ohio in 1848. In 1910, she and her son, Charles, who was a postal clerk in Oregon City, lived at 608 4th Street, where there were between ten and fifteen boarders. Mrs. Montour owned several rental properties after the turn of the century, including this building and the one next door at 509 3rd Street. Mrs. Montour died on September 2, 1914. It is yet undetermined what happened to the property after her death, however, in 1924, owner Lisle L. Took and his wife sold the property to Myrtle Davenport. In 1938, a sheriff sold part of the lot to Martha Meyer, who then in 1943 purchased another part of the lot from Clackamas County after a tax foreclosure. In 1945, Martha sold the lot to George and Florence Knoetzel who sold it to George and Grace Evenhart that very same day. A few months later in 1946, the Evenharts sold the lot to Thomas E. and Nora M. Carrico. Occupying the house in 1964 was Robert Bundy, a teacher, and his wife Lydia. By 1967, the property was owned by Loy and Mary Kamolz. This was also the home of Rosa Green, Oregon City citizen activist and "philosopher". Mrs. Green maintained a prolific correspondence with a variety of political figures.

This house sits under a cross gable roof with the east-west gable slightly offset to the north. This results in a cruciform plan with a small gabled porch at the southeast corner. The porch gable is supported by slender turned columns with a turned balustrade. The gables are all enclosed with wide rake and frieze boards beneath the eaves. The house is primarily clad with drop siding, finished with cornerboards. However, the gable ends are clad with fishscale shingles above a string course that is a continuation of the blank frieze boards. The gable ends on the main body of the house also feature small spindle work in the gable ends and decorative barge moldings. The windows in the house are all 1/1 double-hung sashes, with the south side having vinyl sashes and the rest being wood sashes. The windows typically feature board trim on three sides with narrow sills and projecting hood moldings. On the first floor of the east gable, a spindle work ornament is located just above the window hood. The foundation of this house has been skirted with plywood, and a shed roof has been added to the northwest corner of the house between the house and garage. The garage is set just north of the house and is clad with plywood. It sits under a shed roof with two out-swinging doors and shares a party wall with the garage for the next house to the north. A decorative picket fence surrounds the lot.

This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact ocplanning@orcity.org for more information.

Historic Inventory Form 

WASH_0301