CHARLES AND HATTIE BABCOCK HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: S.D. and Elizabeth Francis sold lots 1 and 2 of this block to Charles Babcock in 1877. Charles Babcock was an Oregon City official from 1890 to 1918, serving as city treasurer, city assessor, city collector, and as street superintendent. His wife, Hattie McCarver Babcock, was a granddaughter of General Morton McCarver. In 1918, Mr. Babcock retired from public life and worked at Crown-Willamette paper mills until his sudden death in 1921. He was a founding member of both the Oregon City Elks Lodge in 1910 and the Commercial Club, with its auxiliary, "The Live Wires". From 1882 to 1892, the property was transferred a number of times, before being purchased by Charles and Hattie Bobcock. The couple retained the property until 1942, when it was sold to Tom Myers, who in turn sold to Gertrude Mount. In 1946, the property was sold to William Stokes, a steward for the Elks Club, and his wife Martha, a seamstress at Oregon City Hospital. In 1952, a deed recorded to Marvin Hughes, a carpenter, and his wife, Fern. This property was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
This two-story house sits under a cross gable roof with a porch running nearly the full width of the west façade. The porch is covered by a gable over the entry with a low shed roof running to the north from this gable. The porch roof is supported by turned columns with a low turned balustrade running between them. The house is primarily clad with drop siding, finished with corner boards, above the stone foundation. The gables are pedimented and feature enclosed eaves above frieze boards with molding at the eave. The gable ends feature battered wood shingles beneath a decorative bull's-eye pattern frieze in the gable end. The porch gable is also pedimented and is completely covered with the bull's-eye ornament in a grid pattern. The west gable features a rectangular second floor cantilevered over an octagonal bay at the first-floor level with scrollwork brackets supporting the cantilever. The northern gable covers a two-story octagonal bay with a large brick chimney set just to the west of the bay. The windows are all 1/1 double-hung wood sash with plain board surrounds and projecting hood moldings at the first-floor level. The second-floor window heads are trimmed by the frieze board. This house is individually listed on the National Register.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.