JOHN AND DAISY ETCHISON HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: John and Sarah Myers owned lots 1-8 and sold them all to Isaac Farr Jr. in 1879. Annie Farr sold lots 3 and 6 to John C. and Daisy Etchison in 1912. John was a carrier for the post office. In 1943, Daisy Brady, formerly Etchison, sold both lots to Leslie H. and Bernice E. Cooke. Leslie worked as a truck driver. Many others lived in the house post-1947. Mary Hale was a widow who lived with Clarence and Frances Shaver. James and Flora Pryor lived there in 1960. James was a machine operator at Publishers Paper. Walter and Judith Alto resided there in 1962. Walter was a Manager at Ideal Food Market. Jim, a painter for U-Haul, and Phyllis Wiseman lived there in 1964. Myrtle Ball was a retired widow at the residence in 1965.
This 1-1/2 story house sits under a side gable roof, with a small, shed dormer centered on the west façade. A shed roof supported by large knee brackets is also present on the west side, covering the front porch. The main gable features enclosed eaves above a narrow rake board, but the shed dormer and porch roofs have exposed rafter tails. The house is clad with horizontal drop siding, finished with wide corner boards. The windows are a mixture of fixed sashes, 1/1 double-hung sashes, and casement windows. The west side features three fixed sashes with divided lights at the sides and top of the sash, the north side features a bank of three casement sashes and the rest of the house has double-hung sashes. The windows typically feature wide board trim on three sides with narrow, slightly projecting sills. At the east side of the house, a shed addition has been made with a porch on the northern end of the house while the south end is enclosed for additional living space.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact email@example.com for more information.