HENRY LARSEN HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: Henry Larsen, a grocer with a store on Main Street, and his wife Laura bought the house from Oregon City in 1922. The Larsens are believed to have built the house in 1926. They sold to Russell and Lucille Johnson in 1940. The Johnsons lived there with their children until 1962. Russell Johnson was a pharmacist for Jones Drug Co. and Lucille was a nurse at Hutchinson General Hospital. In 1962 the Evangelical Lutheran Trinity congregation bought the property. Wesley Klein lived there in the mid- to late 1960s.
This 1-1/2 story rectangular plan Colonial bungalow has a jerkinhead roof with eave returns facing north and south and a poured (possibly parged) concrete foundation. The eaves are wide, and the lap siding is flared. The symmetrical front elevation has a porch with a curved hood (missing the curved bargeboard) with a beadboard ceiling, and classical columns on either side. Windows on either side of the porch consist of a large fixed flanked by a narrow side window on either side. All of these windows have vertical muntins in the top sash. The front door is multilight. A center chimney punctuates the roof, another chimney pokes out from the southeast corner of the roof. House sits high on a hill which is controlled by a high concrete retaining wall. Concrete steps lead up to the house on the south side. South side steps and retaining walls are badly crumbling.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.