PHILLIP HAMMOND HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: Phillip Hammond, a lawyer, was vice-president of Hammond Abstract Company and a principal in the law firm of Hammond and Hammond. He owned and occupied the house from its construction through the mid-1930s, when it was sold to Robert and Jewell Strickland. Mr. Strickland was a physician and surgeon with offices in the McIntyre Building who occupied the house with his wife until his death in 1964. The property remained in the Strickland family through the mid-1980s.
The best description of 1215 Monroe Street is in the style of an English cottage with Colonial detailing. Its plan is complex and 1-1/2 stories tall. The roof is gabled and surfaced in clay title. The house is clad in lap siding. Windows are typically 4/4 wood double-hung. The front entry area is gabled with eave returns, engaged classical columns and an arched window. The original front door has a fan light. There is a hipped dormer at the front. The double garage on the south end is connected by a non-historic breezeway.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact email@example.com for more information.